Park Ridge State High School is committed to providing quality educational experiences to all of our students to ensure they are achieving at their highest potential. Students must attend school to benefit from these opportunities. As a school focused on learning we are committed to high attendance rates through a supportive, thorough and systematic attendance process.
Park Ridge State High School aims for all students to have an attendance goal of 92-100% attendance in the school year.
What does this mean?
Why 92% as a minimum?
Every lesson counts and days absent from school quickly add up.
A 92% attendance rate equates to 4 days off per term or a day off every 12.5 days. Over a year this equates to 16 days absent from school. Over the course of secondary school (6 years), 16 days absent per year equates to 96 days absence overall. This is nearly two terms or half a year of missed schooling.
We believe that over three full weeks of absence from school per year is more than reasonable for healthy students and that no job in the workforce will provide this level of paid sick leave.
What if a student is below 90% attendance?
If a student has an attendance rate of 90%, then this equates to one full day absent from school per fortnight. Over a year this equates to 20 days absent from school. This is four weeks of absence from school. Over the course of secondary school (6 years), 20 days absent per year equates to 120 days absence overall. This is more than half a year of missed schooling.
- Attend every class, on time, every day, ready to learn
- Only be absent from school for serious and unavoidable reasons
- If absent from school, provide a note or medical certificate to form teacher
- Ensure your child attends school on every school day
- Provide a satisfactory and timely explanation for all absences
- Contact the school if an absence is for an extended period of time
- On return to school provide your child with a satisfactory explanation for their absence
- Monitor student's attendance daily by recording attendance every lesson
- Notify parent/carers of any unexplained absence for the day via text message
- Notify parent / carers of instances of truancy or persistent lateness to class
- Discuss individual attendance with students and parent/carers and offer support to parents and students when school attendance has become a problem
Why is attendance on every school day so important?
|When a student misses…||That equals…….||Which is……..||Over 13 years of schooling...|
|10 minutes per day||50 minutes per week||Nearly 1.5 weeks per year||Nearly half a year|
|20 minutes per day||1 hour 40 mins per week||Over 2.5 weeks per year||Nearly 1 year|
|Half an hour per day||Half a day per week||4 weeks per year||Nearly 1 and a half years|
|I hour per day||1 day per week||8 weeks per year||Over 2 and a half years|
Read the attendance policy (PDF, 188KB).
More information about attendance: Regular school attendance (PDF, 302KB).