Does this subject contribute to an ATAR? Yes (General Subject)
How many credits does this subject contribute towards QCE? 2
What is Music Extension?
Music Extension is an extension of the Music General senior syllabus. It provides an opportunity for students with specific abilities in music to extend their expertise. Students select one specialisation only, and follow an individual program of study designed to continue the development of refined musicianship skills. Music Extension encourages students to investigate music concepts and ideas relevant to their specialisation.
In the Composition specialisation (making), students create and resolve new music works. They demonstrate use of music concepts and manipulate music concepts to express meaning and/or emotion to an audience through resolved compositions.
In the Musicology specialisation (responding), students investigate and analyse music works and ideas. They synthesise analytical information about music, and document sources and references about music to support research.
In the Performance specialisation (making), students realise music works, demonstrating technical skills and understanding. They make decisions about music, interpret music elements and concepts, and express music ideas to realise their performances.
What makes a student suited to Music?
Students who achieve success in Music are those who:
- are self-driven and good at time management
- are exceptional musicians who are pursuing careers in music
- are committed to excellence
What prerequisites must students meet in order to take this subject?
- Entrance via Audition/Portfolio only
- Students should also be willing to stop one of their other courses of study or have already completed one of their courses to complete this extension course.
What materials or equipment do I need for this subject?
- Compulsory BYOD with composition software from year 10
What do students study in this subject and how are they assessed?
| ||Unit Overviews||Assessment|
• Key idea 1: Initiate best practice
• Key idea 2: Consolidate best practice
|Summative internal assessment 1 (IA1): 20%|
• Investigation 1
Summative internal assessment 2 (IA2): 20%
• Investigation 2
• Key idea 3: Independent best practice
|Summative internal assessment 3 (IA3): 35%|
Summative external assessment (EA): 25%
• Examination — extended response